French Press Brew Method
Water - Clean, Fresh Water
Temperature - 195-205°F
Pre-Heat - Always pre-heat your equipment
Coffee - Freshly roasted
Grind - Coarsely ground
Let's get started:
Please be aware that the environment will always impact the conditions under which you brew. Temperature & humidity are two notable factors which may mean your grind setting or extraction time range needs to be altered.
Changes made to the grind setting have consistent results across all brew methods. A coarse grind allows water to pass through coffee without as much resistance as a fine one. It will also mean that the brew time of a courser grind will be longer to allow the flavor to be fully extracted.
A finer grind results in smaller coffee particles, exposing more surface area to the brewing water which can therefore ‘access’ and dissolve the available flavors more easily.
Additionally, always take into account the high level of influence that water chemistry has in your brewing. Experiment with using different bottled waters if your tap water seems to leave you struggling to tune your brews to your taste.
Grind Setting: Coarse
Brewing Time: 2-4 mins (depending on grind setting and cafetière [French Press Coffee Pot] size)
Brewing Ratio: 7-8g coffee per 200ml water (6.7oz) though dependent on personal taste. Typically, towards 8g coffee per 200ml.
FRENCH PRESS STEP BY STEP
- Pre-heat and rinse brewing equipment by pouring some heated brewing water into the cafetière. Press the plunger down into the hot water.
- Raise the plunger & discard the water from the cafetière. Place cafetière onto scales and add your coffee dose. Tare the scales and start timing.
- Pour all of the required brewing water onto the coffee in the cafetière, then stir to sufficiently immerse all of the coffee in the brewing water.
- Place the plunger onto the cafetière but do not plunge.
- When the majority of the coffee has descended into the bottom of the cafetière, remove the plunger then use soup spoons to gently remove any ground coffee on the surface of the brew.
- Replace the plunger, then slowly & gently press through the brewed coffee until you reach the coffee deposited at the bottom of the brewer.
- Pour very gently from the cafetière to serve, being careful not to draw too much motion from the coffee at the bottom of the brewer.